OUR SHORT STORY
Gerry Garard a National Service 2nd Lieutenant, Vietnam Veteran, who spent most of his working life in corporate management, and his dual Olympic Gold Medallist and Taxation Consultant wife Renita, decided that they wished to do voluntary work in the demographic of mental health sufferers (particularly PTSD) who were suffering and struggling as a result of their service to our great Nation.
2nd Half 2016 saw
- The establishment of a not-for-profit, unlisted public company.
- The successful application for deductible gift recipient status and charity status with the ATO and ACNC.
- The bringing together of a Board of Directors consisting of highly respected, competent, and relevant (to the cause) persons.
- Much research, relationship building and strategic planning.
- The formation of a Guest Health and Welfare Committee made up of eminent professionals who developed a world-best-practice, 12 day, live-in rehabilitation program named “Triumph over Trauma”.
- A significant fundraising program commenced, including the first three “Shambolic Golfaholic” Charity Golf Days, the Inaugural “Pedals ‘n Medals” fundraising Bike Ride, and our first series of “Mabel’s Tables”.
- A search was commenced for a suitable parcel of rural land, preferably as a gift to the Foundation, and on which to establish “Camp Courage”.
- Continued research, and relationship building.
- The Board decision to broaden the Foundation’s focus to include first responders in addition to military personnel, as those people it aims to help.
- A generous benefactor purchase a magnificent tract of rural land in the Scenic Rim Region of South-East Queensland for the specific purpose of hiving off 32 acres and gifting it to the Foundation for the purpose of building its "Camp Courage" Retreat.
- The employment of a part-time Head of Fundraising and Sponsorship.
- The employment of a part-time Psychologist who will oversee the finalisation and delivery of the "Triumph over Trauma" pilot Program including the measurement of outcomes, and the commencement of development of an additional two types of programs.
- Fundraising, donations and sponsorships gain traction.
- Much dialogue with HQ 7th Brigade ADF, the Dept of Veteran Affairs, RSL (Qld), the Queensland Police Service, Queensland Ambulance Service and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services, in the genuine hope that collaborative arrangements will ensue.
- The inaugural 12 day live-in "Triumph over Trauma" and related 3 day "Refresh" Programs conducted in the first half of the year, plus a repeat of same in the second half.
- Fantastic results from the Programs both in terms of Outcome Measures and Program Participants' feedback.
- The receipt of several incredibly complimentary and positive Testimonials from Program Participants.
- Dialogue commenced and progressed with the State Government DSDMIP regarding a Ministerial Infrastructure Designation for the development of "Camp Courage"
- A successful Grant application to the State Government's Gambling Community Benefit Fund to allow for the establishment of an Equine Facility at the "Camp Courage" site for Equine Assisted Therapy sessions.
2020 will see
- The start to the "Building (Camp) Courage" Capital Fundraising Campaign.
- The commencement of development at the "Camp Courage" site.
- More "Triumph over Trauma" and "Refresh" Programs.